My Name  

Posted in , , , ,

Pagans often choose new names when they choose to dedicate themselves to the Craft. There are a variety of reasons for this but the most important one is that it’s a new path, a whole new way of living - and as such, deserves it’s own identification. Rikka on Witchvox says, “A magickal name can help define you in your new life, it can affect what others think of you and you can use this to your advantage.” Most importantly, what she doesn’t say, is that affects what you think of yourself.

My birth name conjures images of strife and unhappiness, arguments and low self-esteem. Add to that, I’m named after someone I don’t even like at all, and it adds the images I associate with her as well. There is no reason in the world I would want that in a Circle, or anywhere else. I hate it so much that I’m going to legally change it one day.

For a long time, in ritual at any rate, I used a name I wasn’t completely comfortable with. I still am not. It doesn’t fit me. But one I picked up in the SCA, and often used online, invaded my life to a greater and greater degree until I began to use that name even offline. Before long, I was using only that name and to this day, use it by preference.

Viriatha de Cordova. This is who I am, who I choose to be.

Viriatha is the Latin feminine form of Viriathus, a Lusitanian leader who fought the Romans in western Iberia (Spain and Portugal). Not only was a he a great leader and successful general but Wikipedia has this to say about the etymology of the name itself:

There are several possible etymologies for the name Viriathus.[1] The name can be composed of two elements: Viri and Athus. Viri may come from:
  • the Indo-European root *uiros, “man”, relating to strength and virility;
  • the Celtic *uiro- ‘man’; and the older forms viros, viri, viro, viron from which derived the Old Irish word for man, fir;[2]
  • from *uei-, as in in the viriae or Celtiberian “twisted armbands” used by warriors (Pliny XXIII, 39);[3]
  • the Latin viri meaning man, hero, person of courage, honor, and nobility.
Cordova was something I chose because of the city in Spain. When the Europeans retook the Iberian Penninsula from the Islamic Caliphates, they found a great many scrolls and books in the libraries of Cordova, including mathematics and the Arabic numeral system. A great deal of European Renassaince learning was inspired by the knowledge they pilfered from conquered Islamic territories at the time.

Strength. Honor. Education. It’s a great name.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 at Friday, March 21, 2008 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Shae Says:
March 22, 2008 at 1:32 am e

if I may…

since I got out of the Wiccan thing long ago, I never really thought about magickal names or any of that stuff.

but I do have one, of sorts. if I had a magickal name, Shaelyn would be it, and it *is* what I prefer to go by.

I hate my real name (Emily). It sounds like a little girl’s name. Sometimes when I hear it, I can hear like a little girl, like a kindergardener or something, trying to say it “Em-o-wee” or something. It’s horrible.

When I was in HS, I read a book “The Glass Dragon,” and that book had the most beautiful name I had ever heard - Shayla.
But though Shayla is beautiful, it’s really a little too…delicate/girly, too.

A few years later (when I started getting into singing and thinking of stage names), I came up with Shaelyn.
sometime after, I looked up the meaning of Shayla…and found out it ties back to Celia, the patron-saint of music.

and I said, “wow.” it’s like the name was made for me.

I guess it kinda chose me, rather than the other way around.

March 25, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Shae Says:
March 22, 2008 at 1:34 am e

EDIT: or was the patron-saint Cecilia?

it’s all the same thing.

viriatha Says:
March 22, 2008 at 2:28 am e

The real problem with changing a name is what it does to your parents. If I was still speaking to mine, it would hurt them terribly when I legally change my name. I’d do it anyhow but I’d feel bad about it :P

But I’d still do it.

viriatha Says:
March 22, 2008 at 2:29 am e

And you’re very much more a Shae than an Emily. My god, are you ever lol

March 25, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Post a Comment