Revisiting the Elements, Reinventing the Wheel  

Posted in , ,

I was over at Witchvox today reading up on some articles from last week when I ran across one about Elemental Correspondences. Shadow Knight wrote,

Why do we correspond the elements to these directions? Who set the elements in these correspondences? What experiments did they use? … I say it is time we as a magical community start questioning tradition. I say it is time we go back and revisit the ancients and rerun their experiments with more modern techniques and equipment to see if what they found still holds water or if we need to adjust our thinking to new evidence.
I have to disagree. Most of us are doing well to find time to work a ritual these days in what seem to be increasingly busy lives. Now, yes, maybe it’s time we slowed down - but I have to tell you, this isn’t what I’d choose to spend time on if I did have a few extra minutes each day. Could Shadow Knight do it for me? Sure, he could do that. I might even be interested in what he found but I doubt it. He also says,
Elemental correspondences work on different levels and have varying degrees of efficiency. Basically if it works for you then go with it.
And the reason I don’t think his findings would work for me is my subconscious mind isn’t going to accept him as an “authority”. When I’m writing a ritual, I have a variety of things I do but one of the most important is the use of my library. In it are bound, printed books by authors like Regardie, Crowley, Starhawk and more. I look up what I need, slot it in, save myself time and energy. Shadow Knight just isn’t going to stand up to that kind of competition in my head.

One of the huge tenets in magick is, what you BELIEVE will work is how it will work. So could I use his work? Sure, except I know myself well enough to know it won’t work for me. And that is the real lesson here, know thyself.

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 at Thursday, March 20, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment