What do the Gods do for Us?  

Posted in ,

I was over at Starweaver's Corner this morning reading his article "When one God just isn't Enough" and I began wondering, what do I call on gods for? What do they do for me? and more importantly, what do they do for any of us?

I guess this is on my mind right now because I was reading some Christian sites this week and it seems that all over the internet is plastered, "What Christ can do for you!" I imagine this is because they're pretty evangelical and they want people to come to Church, but to do that you have to answer the eternal question most people have, "What's in it for me?" If you're going to attempt to convert someone, you have to give them reason to change, some positive benefit they'll see in their life to justify the effort. Advertisers have known this forever, as well. Geico will save you money! Well, you get the idea.

Paganism is not evangelical. We do not convert or preach. But we do often have to justify ourselves to our Christian friends and families. "Why did you leave the Church??? Don't you know you're going to Hell??!" I never had a reaction quite that extreme from most of my family but many of us do. Instead I heard, "Have you lost your mind? You worship trees?!?" It was the height of insanity, rather than evil.

When faced with these attitudes, many pagans fall into the trap of comparing Christianity and Paganism like a bad Taco Bell commercial. Taco Bell often touts itself as the better alternative to the evil, or worse boring, burger. They put down their competition to show you why you should change your habits. Pagans often talk about all the things they see wrong in Christianity when justifying their beliefs to relatives who ask why, "Well, did you know your Bible was deliberately mistranslated when King James didn't like what scholars came up with?" That sort of thing. Instead of talking about our positive benefits, we're just illustrate the saying, "The worst kind of fundamentalist is a new convert."

To be fair, this is a phase similar to adolescence that many new converts really need to work through, the pushing away of the old authority in the new effort to develop a new, autonomous identity and most come out the other side realizing that they don't need to put down the mainstream regime to feel good about their new path... eventually. It took me personally almost three years to work through all of this myself and I'm sure it was very hard on my still Christian friends to have to listen to my diatribes every time the subject of religion came up.

So what do the Gods do for me anyhow? What positive benefits do I gain from not being a member of the mainstream religion in any of its forms? Let's take a look.

1) The Gods love me - unconditionally and forever - no matter what I do. This is especially important to me as I do not have that from the usual source, my parents. I no longer speak to my parents for reasons I'm not going to detail here. To have access to something that loves me, really loves me, and will keep on loving me and accepting me for who I am, no matter how badly I screw it up, is very important.

2) The Gods guide me, in so many myriad different ways. Prayer isn't working for me today? Let's take a look at the cards. Or runes. Or crystals. Paganism has no written text so we very much need ways of receiving guidance - not so much about what is right or wrong - but to help us through those tough times where we're not certain about where life is going or worse, how we're going to get there.

3) The Gods do not treat me like a child. I think this is the thing that attracts most pagans. If we screw up, we're going to fall on our faces but the Gods also don't tell us we have to be in bed by nine or that we have to wear a white shirt to a meeting or that we can't watch that cool new movie. We're expected to be adults, making adult choices, and then taking the consequences like adults when we make the wrong ones.

4) The Gods have seen to it I do not have to fear Death. This is most important if you're critically ill or have lost a loved one. Not only is Aunt Jane still out there somewhere, but you know she's not suffering and is happy and one day will be back on the Earth, trying again. The Summerlands (or whatever you want to name the realm after this life) is waiting for all of us and is not someplace we need to fear, for ourselves or someone we care about. What's better is that it doesn't matter how guilty we feel about what we've done in life, we all get this rest from the efforts of living no matter how badly we did at it.

5) They give me the tools I need to be able to deal with the challenges of life. We as pagans are almost unique in this that we get to take a pro-active role in solving our problems through ritual. Ours is not a passive faith, and while things like meditation and listening for the "voice of God" is important to it, we have so much more we can do as well.

6) The Gods want me to be happy. This is very likely the second most important principle to pagans. The gods want us to celebrate our lives and laugh and dance and sing and enjoy being who we are right now. We have eight Sabbats where the whole point is to celebrate the cycles of life itself. Eight times a year we're encouraged to take the time to look at how life moves and enjoy it.

So the next time you feel a need to justify your faith, or even just explain it to those who care about you but fear for you, take a look at these reasons to be Pagan and instead of putting down their faith, celebrate your own and show them how much you get out of it.

This entry was posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 at Saturday, April 12, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

A positive approach is something that would improve the relations between pagans and the world at large, for sure.

April 12, 2008 at 9:12 AM
Anonymous  

Excellent post! When I teach classes on pagan god and goddess concepts, one of the exercises I have people do is just what you've done here - look at the roles deity play in your own life (or in the cosmos, for that matter). One of the barriers that some people from a Christian background have in learning about Pagan deity concepts is that they've learned a certain package of roles for God, which includes things like creator of the universe, moral judge, perfect being, and so on. It's important to unpack that package and look at the individual parts. Pagan deities don't necessarily do all those things. Once people step back and realize that what they need from a deity, perhaps, is something like guidance or unconditional acceptance, then it becomes easier to see how different theologies can work for them.

Blessings, Tom

April 12, 2008 at 1:08 PM
Anonymous  

Beautiful!

I've always thought of the gods/goddesses in the same way that I think of my parents- they cared for me and guided me when I was too smnall and weak to do it myself. For that they will ALWAYS have my love and respect.

But a good parent wants the child to grow up, and to learn how to take care of his/her self.

If the chld is eternally a child, the parents have failed.

This, I think, is true of dieties as well.

May 1, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Post a Comment