Learning to Listen  

Posted in , ,

Source: WikipediaFirst, a disclaimer, the word "God" in this post refers to Jehovah, Anubis, Queztalcoatl, Bridget, Dianna and any other Deity who's name you choose to plug in. God is easier to type, so that's what I used.

I have a list of comics I read every day, like many people I know who spend significant amounts of time online and this morning today's issue of Sinfest just got to me. Mormons have this saying about listening to the "small, still voice" within you. Pagans have something very similar, although we don't name it anything. Catholics also try to listen for the "voice of God". It seems to be a common theme. Why do we need to hear the message that we should learn to listen so often from so many disparate directions? Are we really so deaf or is God just not talking?

I remember the day my first son was born. God talked to me pretty loudly that day but it wasn't in English. I took one look at that newborn child and knew, knew God existed in some form. I was looking at a waterfall as a teenager just overwhelmed at the power and ferocity inherent in the torrent coming down from the cliffs and it hit me! The world is too awesome to be coincidence or an accident. I met Phil and knew God loved me, in ways I'd never considered before this time.

God isn't just talking, God is shouting. But like Slick in Sinfest, most of us just don't want to hear it and while we tell ourselves we do, we're pretty good at self-delusions. We get tired, or busy, or bored and we stop hearing. But there are often signs God is trying to get through our thick skulls. Josh from Part of the Process posted something by Rick Warren that describes it well,
When God wants to change us, he starts by getting our attention, by putting us in a frustrating situation that is totally beyond our control. If we’re experiencing a crisis right now, it’s because God is getting ready to change us for the better.
I have to admit, my life recently has just been crazy. The other day I got so angry at an ongoing situation, I threw a chair through a window. I guess it's time I sat down and talked to God, one on one, and looked around to see what he's trying to tell me. I just wish he'd learn to be bilingual.

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 at Saturday, March 29, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

The post raises some valid points about God speaking to us.

That said, I have a different take on a couple of the stated opinions. I get what you're saying about God "Shouting"--that He's trying very actively to get our attention--but I think that more often than not, He simply waits and whispers,letting us choose whether or not we want to listen. I think He only "shouts" when we have to make an important decision *right now*, and don't have the luxury of time of deliberating before making a decision.

Dr. Hugh Nibley pointed out something simple and profound-- and so obvious that we don't usually consider it-- that relates to this. Nibley mentioned that the human mind can only think one thought at any given instant. Those thoughts might cycle fast enough to appear to be multi-tasking (the same way a computer with a single processor works), but the point he makes is that we *choose* our thoughts, moment by moment.

If that's the case, then listening to God is a moment-by-moment choice.

As for God not being bilingual...I'm guessing you're just joking about that, neh? He knows every language, including many that we don't. Look back to your comments on the birth of your son, and the experience with a waterfall.

April 1, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I think he shouts all the time, alot of us are just very, very deaf.

And yes, Stan, it was just a joke.

April 10, 2008 at 2:17 AM

Post a Comment