Sin and Guilt Trips  

Posted in , , , , ,

Lisa over at Feminist Mormon Housewives posted today on small sins with, “It’s easy to condemn the simply evil, but most people aren’t. Our motivations are complex and our sins are small or necessary or thoughtless or convenient. I’ve never sewn a tiny military uniform, but I’m sure I own things that were produced by child labor. I know I have habits that contribute to global warming.”

In my continuing journey of exploring Christianity and Wicca, this struck a cord in me and probably would in many pagans, since one of the most common reasons for leaving a church and converting to Wicca is how that faith deals with sin. In Christianity, we are forever reminded of how imperfect we are, how we’ll never measure up, how we have to keep striving no matter how tired we are or how hard life has gotten lately. I often feel like the child of over-achieving parents since nothing I do will ever be good enough.

In Wicca, we’re taught that everything we do will come back to us threefold, possibly even in this lifetime, that punishment could be immediate and severe and yet… pagans tend to obsess over their faults alot less than Christians. Since punishment for Christian sin is delayed until after death I had to ask myself why the difference in outlook, logic says it should be the other way around.

The answer seems to lie in how pagans view humanity in general. In Wicca, people are not inherently bad even if imperfect. In fact, in many ways we view our imperfections as opportunities to be individuals. We do try to do what’s right, and self-examination is a huge part of the faith, but we know we’re not going to be perfect and we don’t even try. We just do the best we can, accept responsibility for our faults and the results of our actions (even the unintended ones) and move on.

Given what Christianity often does to self-esteem, I think the Wiccan viewpoint is alot healthier. But going back to Lisa’s post, I agree that we all need to strive to improve and not let apathy or general “busy-ness” keep us from doing this.

This entry was posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 at Monday, March 24, 2008 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Anonymous  

Originally commented 3-26-08

Starweaver says:
Really interesting post! I think you hit on the key difference toward the end: *guilt* and *responsibility* feel very different, psychologically. It’s one thing to realize that if you put out unhealthy energy, you’re going to have to deal with the consequences and clean up your messes. But it’s something else to feel that your soul has been stained by sin, and God is now eternally disappointed in you. The former (Wiccan) approach sees mistakes as a learning experience, a way to become more aware of the consequences of our own short-sightedness. The Christian perspective means internalizing a negative judgment of oneself, potentially for a very long time. Responsibility builds character, guilt cripples it.

Blessings, Tom

March 27, 2008 at 5:33 AM

It's really a difference in how the "god" sees you. Pagan gods tend to treat their followers like adults while Jehovah treats his more like children. The LDS Church teaches that we [b]are[/b] children and that this earth is where we prove we can be adults.

Now, that's all well and good except I think it's a huge fallacy as well. I didn't raise my kids to be adults by treating them like kids. I expected responsibility, and I got it.

March 27, 2008 at 5:37 AM

I've never understood why Christianity gets hung up on the small sins (like swearing or thinking smutty thoughts). I guess they think the small ones are just the start of the slippery slope towards the big ones...

I also think the whole threefold law concept stems from a misunderstanding of the Wiccan liturgy, which actually says that when someone does good towards you, you are bound to return it threefold.

April 10, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Well, about the only things all Wiccans really have in common is the Rede which is why I more often tend to try to say "pagan" when describing non-Christian beliefs and to make sure they're identified as MY beliefs.

April 11, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Post a Comment